Tribute to the Gary Brooker 4. Dezember 2023

Tourdaten, Infos zu Tickets, Fotos und Reviews
Squonk

Re: Tribute to the Gary Brooker 4. Dezember 2023

Beitrag von Squonk »

Hallo ihr Lieben,
vielen Dank für die Eindrücke und die tollen Fotos!
Das muss ja ein wirklich beeindruckender Abend gewesen sein. Stimmt denn die Setlist auf dem Foto? Und wer hat was gespielt?
Blackie

Re: Tribute to the Gary Brooker 4. Dezember 2023

Beitrag von Blackie »

Herzlichen Dank für die schönen Bilder Uta und auch an Rainer! Ich kann da nichts Besseres beifügen, nach der Pause war Fotografieren sowieso nicht mehr erwünscht. The Living Years wurde vor Over My Shoulder gespielt, sonst stimmt die Setliste. Hier meine Zusammenfassung in Englisch auf Facebook, da steht am Schluss auch, wer was spielte, allerdings ohne die Bandmitglieder zum jeweiligen Stück zu erwähnen. Die Besetzung der Band änderte sich nämlich ständig. Ich habe noch irgendwo gelesen, dass EC zwei Songs hätte spielen sollen, Lead Me to the Water und Gin House Blues.

"4th December 2023 - Remembering Gary Brooker MBE @ G Live Guildford (UK). The tribute to Gary Brooker in aid of the Royal Marsden Cancer Charity and Cure Parkinson’s began with a voice message from his longtime friend Eric Clapton who was unable to attend for health reasons. His voice and breathing sounded quite rough. Musical director Andy Fairweather Low and Gary’s wife Franky then welcomed us warmly and former radio presenter Alex Dyke introduced the various artists. The concert was recorded and filmed for later release.

Gary’s life and career was celebrated with two sets containing Procol Harum or Brooker originals, classic hits by the performing guests or songs Gary used to play with other formations such as No Stiletto Shoes or Band du Lac. This was somewhat unexpected for many, myself included, but it was a selection that reflected his love of music. The guest artists in order of appearance were Mike Sanchez, John Illsley, Paul Carrack, Roger Taylor and Mike Rutherford (with Paul Carrack). Andy Fairweather Low began with Poison Ivy, originally recorded by the Coasters, which became a hit for the Paramounts, the predecessor band to Procol Harum. A few guest artists were up to the task of covering a Procol Harum or Gary Brooker song. Paul Carrack rendered Homburg and snappy dresser Roger Taylor was brave enough to sing A Salty Dog. Nikki Lamborn performed (No More) Fear of Flying and Wall Street Blues. Olivia Keast duetted with Andy Fairweather Low on Two Fools In Love.

The five-star house band consisted of Procol Harum members Geoff Whitehorn and Josh Phillips as well as past members Dave Bronze, Henry Spinetti and Graham Broad. Paul Beavis, Frank Mead, Richard Milner, Nick Pentelow and Sam Tanner completed the lineup. The programme also listed Nikki Lamborn (Never The Bride) and Olivia Keast as band members but they had no duties as backing singers. Some of the musicians and fans we had expected were missing, maybe due to circumstances beyond their control. The house band played phenomenal versions of Pandora’s Box (Frank Mead on flute) and Conquistador both featuring Sam Tanner - not Santana, as Andy pointed out! Earlier on, Sam Tanner also performed Let Me In, a track from Gary’s album No More Fear of Flying. His voice was amazingly close to the Commander’s and he is a great piano player too. It is also worth mentioning that guitarist Scott McKeon joined John Illsley, bass player of Dire Straits, on excellent renditions of Sultans of Swing and Money for Nothing. Eric Clapton was to play Gary’s composition Lead Me to the Water to which he contributed guitar at the time. Andy took over for Eric with the dedication: El, this is for you! Geoff Whitehorn, who can play anything (I echo Andy’s words), took the solo. Andy did a fantastic job as musical director, together with Dave Bronze, and we were so excited to see him back in action. He blew the roof off with his raucous Gin House Blues.

In between songs there were heartfelt messages from various people. Musicians included Nick Mason, Paul McCartney, Tom Jones, You Know Who (Ringo Starr!) and Elton John who was about to start A Whiter Shade of Pale on his piano when Gary himself took over! His vocals were synchronized with various video snippets and the house band backed him live. It sent shivers down my spine and it was beautiful to share the bittersweet moments with so many friends in attendance. As you may know, Procol Harum had a very special bond with their fans. Remembering Gary Brooker was a fitting tribute to a wonderful musician and great human being who will be forever missed.

First set: Poison Ivy (Andy Fairweather Low), High School Confidential (Mike Sanchez), I’m Ready (Mike Sanchez), Sultans of Swing (John Illsley), Money for Nothing (John Illsley), (No More) Fear of Flying (Nikki Lamborn), Two Fools In Love (Olivia Keast and Andy Fairweather Low), Let Me In (Sam Tanner), Wall Street Blues (Nikki Lamborn), Wide Eyed and Legless (Andy Fairweather Low), How Long (Paul Carrack)
Second set: (If Paradise Is) Half as Nice (Andy Fairweather Low), Pandora’s Box (house band), Homburg (Paul Carrack), Conquistador (house band), A Salty Dog (Roger Taylor), The Living Years (Mike Rutherford and Paul Carrack), Over My Shoulder (Mike Rutherford and Paul Carrack), Lead Me to the Water (Andy Fairweather Low), Gin House Blues (Andy Fairweather Low), Blueberry Hill (Mike Sanchez), A Whiter Shade of Pale (Gary Brooker and house band)"
Antworten